Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Mother's Sweet "Revenge"

As a Christian, trying to raise not only my own children, but helping to influence other kids, too, to live a Godly life in a less than godly environment, I have been challenged by the expression “tell a story”. As a child of the 50’s, we lived such a pristine life – no really an ostrich life – never saying bad words such as “pregnant” or “divorce” or “lie”. The only time I know that one could say “lie” and not get that ugly look was when talking about George Washington. We at least could say he never told a lie and that was okay – but don’t ever say “You lied”, or “That’s a lie”, or – the worst – “You’re a liar”. That was not tolerated. One simply “told a little story.”

So, when I want to tell a “story”, or talk about a “story”, I immediately get that “uh-oh” feeling. I can hear Jessie B – my saintly mama saying, “Are you sure you’re telling the truth? We don’t want to be telling stories, now do we?” But I do have stories, and I do want to tell them and the difference is these stories are the truth (at least the way I remember – hahaha). The stories are sometimes about my growing up years – my daddy was worthy of a book himself – but mainly centered around the growing up years of my 4 sons – the main reason I have early onset senility and a head full of very grey hair!

For as long as I can remember, my sons have joked about my repetitive story telling. They even suggested numbering my stories so they can simply yell “number 12” and not have to hear the whole story one more time. While I haven’t always appreciated their witticism, I have wanted to get the stories “down” instead of always depending on my memory. I had a grandfather that had some of the neatest stories of growing up in Texas from 1882 – wild and wooly Texans, Indians, wildcatting at Spindletop and in Mexia, even riding with the Texas Rangers – and while he told these stories, I was young, and didn’t really want to listen to the ramblings of an old man. Now, while I have some vague ideas, the details are buried – literally. Why he never wrote them down… That’s why I want to write down some of my kids’ stories. It is their history. It is their lives that made mine and their daddy’s journey these last 30 years so much richer. I don’t want them to forget the fun.

Wait. That’s not completely true. It wasn’t all fun. But, it was all an adventure. Hey guys – that’s it. Don’t you get it?!?!? I love this! This is just perfect! This is truly a mother’s revenge! I love it! I love it!

While you dreaded getting into the car for those infamous weekend rides – you even called them ugly names, “Mom and Dad’s Bogus Journey” – it has come the proverbial Full Circle. It truly has been a “Mom and Dad Excellent Adventure.”

And don’t you ever forget it!! HAHAHA!!

3 comments:

APN said...

**Notices that she's been changing & shifting her color schemes & font styles, but that she hasn't added any new material in a couple of weeks**


BTW -- Yes, it is very sweet revenge that you're going to possibly title your book with the derisive name we 4 boys bestowed upon our family's random-but-regular weekend travels. It's like it's one last, "I'm the Momma! Gotta love me!" type moment.

NOW WRITE MORE!

Love ya!

APN.

KAN said...

You told me to try to limit my posts to weekly. I missed a weekend. I already had the next one ready, but was really struggling with length.

Oh well, I'm trying.

The mind is such a terrible thing to waste...

KAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.