Saturday, October 6, 2007

Orange macaroni

I’ve probably tried them all. From Weight Watchers to NutriSystem, from old school “Wisconsin Diet” to new-fangled “South Beach Diet”. All with incredibly limited success. I’ve tried to “just accept the way I am” – bigger and better for Jesus (hahaha) – again with limited success. I hate being fat. It is just that simple. Also, I simply don’t seem to have the intrinsic capabilities to get thin. I guess I really live and love the joke that there’s a skinny girl inside of me just screaming to be let out, and I keep her quiet with chocolate…or something like that, I think.

The most important thing is, however, I try to eat right and feed my family the right foods. We have definitely seen both ends of the spectrum on this subject, too. We’re on the uphill side, though. The downhill side began insidiously about 22 years ago…

I truly love the Willow Tree collection by Demdaco. They have come to hold a very special meaning in my life. And like other collections, they are some “meaningful” portrayals: mother and child, father and child, mother and father, new mother, and so on. Again, meaningful portrayals of life situations. Where are the TRUE portrayals, though. I have never seen a Willow Tree or a Precious Moments figurine of a mother and her three children all clinging to her skirt as she ushers them through the grocery store. Where’s the cute little depiction of a mother with two in the stroller, another holding her hand, and there’s obviously only weeks to go before there’s an addition to the family. Where are those pretty representations?!? Huh?!?

A larger family is still a most beautiful thing. Don’t ever get me wrong. I wouldn’t trade my four sons for anything in this world. If God wouldn’t have intervened, I would have had many more. I love large families. I feel it is God’s way: He opens the womb and he closes it. But with two kids everything is balanced: One for mama. One for daddy. Everyone is taken care of and everyone has a “buddy”. Then there’s the third child. Suddenly – you as parents are outnumbered. Who will manage the third one? Or if you’re alone, what mother has three arms? Do you see the dilemma?

Our little “back to nature” family was ambling along though life just fine. We had a garden – grew a lot of our own vegetables. I baked our own bread twice a week, always making a couple of extra loaves to share with other families. We ate organically, as much as we could – there wasn’t an organic section in Howard’s grocery store, I guarantee!!! I didn’t let artificial colors or preservatives come into my house. Not for my babies!

Then Adam went to Kindergarten. Did I know that the other children had write bread for sandwiches? It was prettier than my bread. The other kids had Ding Dongs and Twinkies. He had an apple, or some fruit leather, or a good banana nut muffin with extra wheat germ and sprouted wheat. Not even close… And then Halloween came. His first school party. He was ecstatic -- he was the bubbliest little kid. He came out of the school, little candy bag in his hand, and oh I wish I could paint a better picture with mere words. His eyes sparkled with excitement. He couldn’t wait to share his days events. Guess what he had at school that day? GUM! It was so-o-o-o good! Why hadn’t he ever had any before…? Oh, things were quickly spiraling out my control.

And by then,we had the third child. My hands were more than full, and as I said before, we were outnumbered. Our little family was growing not only in size, but also in age. We were moving out of our little space of absolute control in the home into “extra-curricular activities”. There were Sunday School parties, we joined Cub Scouts, we had neighborhood friends and “sleepovers”. There were birthday parties at Putt Putt. Need I go on…

Plus. we were busy. If our kids were going to be involved, well, as parents, so were we. We joined PTA. We joined Scouts. We taught Sunday School. We organized parties. We helped other mothers with their activities. Again, need I really go on…

Soon, as my children’s worlds expanded, they brought home grand stories of even grander adventures in the food world: Did I know that Grandma’s macaroni and cheese was ORANGE!!! Why was ours just plain. Did I know that Marla got her spaghetti sauce out of a JAR!!! It is good, too. It doesn’t have green things in it like yours. Did you know that you could get biscuits out of a CAN and make doughnuts with them? And then there was Cokes, and chips, and cheese puffs, and real life.

Soon there were four little boys in the family. Life is really real, too. Basically, we started looking for ways to cook/eat easier, faster, “make everybody happier”, and also CHEAPER.

We strayed for a long time in the world of not always eating right, but there were areas where we never slacked. We’ve never allowed a lot of preservatives or artificial colorings. I’ve never bought or made white bread. I’ve never cooked a lot of sugary desserts.

I have said all of this to say this: Last Monday, Oct 1, was my number 3 son’s birthday: his 22nd for the second time (but that’s another story). We are all doing everything we can to eat right. We’re sitting around the table and I tell the orange macaroni and cheese story – and he asks for macaroni and cheese like I used to make. Did you know that you can buy boxed whole wheat macaroni with white cheese with no additives? Well, I didn’t – but there it was in the natural food section at the store. I bought some, looking for the easy way out to Matt’s request. Big Mistake. Here I am, still 22 years later looking for the fast way to healthy eating for a family that is too busy.

The fast way doesn’t exist. Neither does the cheap way. If you want healthy, it will cost you, and you will have to take the time to do it right. It is worth it in the long run.

The same with family, except the fast way truly exists. They grow up only too fast. So it is imperative that you do what it takes to do it right. It will definitely take time. It will definitely “cost” you. But you only have one chance to try to do it right. It IS worth it.

5 comments:

mjh said...

Everything comes full circle. I love your stories. I hope to read many more, then to see them "embellised" and "papered". I enjoy this format more, since I get to hear the history before the story and your feelings about it.

More stories please!!!

KAN said...

My friend Rosie said...
At first I didn't recognize your email address. I am thankful I gave it a second look. I loved your blog. "Semi-retired" sounds like a good place to be! I figure they will be sending the transit van to the nursing home to pick me up for my last years of teaching! I won't get to retire, I will just pass on.

I will attach a picture of Elizabeth. She is now 20 months old, and jabbering up a storm. We haven't nailed down the language origin of her speech. I am teaching ESOL now, so I have faith that we can get her some where close to the English language in a few years. Needless to say, she has her "Rosie and Pawpaw" wrapped. She calls me "momma" most of the time. That is what she hears Sara call me. She calls Sara "momma" too. I am trying to convince her that I am her Rosie!

I was in Texas this weekend for my nephew's wedding. Did I tell you Rachel has moved to Dallas, TX? She is an intern at Children's Hospital. Working horribly long hours, and exhausted, but she loves the kids and the medicine. She would just like to have "not so much of it." Her words this morning before I got on the plane to come back. The interns have asked themselves if there is a job on earth worth this type of "first" year.

If my family is ever in one place at one time again, I will get a photo and send it. You do the same, I would LOVE TO SEE THOSE GOOD LOOKING BOYS.

Since you have more time on your hands, you folks need to head East!
Love you, Rosie

APN said...

For some reason, I feel that I should know who MJH & Rosie are....

**A lightbulb suddenly appears atop his noggin**

Ahhhh.... MJH is your friend/employer & Rosie is Rosemary. You haven't heard from here in awhile! Isn't she the one with the daughters (opposed to Elaine with the 3 boys & 1 girl)?

KAN said...

I am working "diligently" on some additional posts. I need to make time to just write -- something I've never had to allow for before. BUT enjoy so very much...

Yes, MJH is the one-and-only (thank God for favors)Melanie. and Rosie is Rosemary. No matter how close we got as friends, I never called her Rosie, for that name is associated with my Aunt Rosie. And yes, Rosemary and her husband Miles had the two girls that were your and Andrew's ages: Sarah and Rachel. They have a son Patrick, but he was born after they moved to Georgia. We did spend many an afternoon with them, however before they moved.

Yes and Elaine had the three boys and one daughter. It was her second son, Jeffrey, that "accidentally" killed himself this past summer with the hanging thing. Elaine has really had the most difficult time. I can't even imagine...

GOOD LUCK with tonight, too!!!

Anonymous said...

i got it this time!!! as you can tell.
MMM... makes me hungry