Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thirty Days


I am definitely showing my vulnerability. Such an incredible way to embarrass myself completely. I am willing to take that chance…


Just today, I told a young friend of mine who is very new to the world of “blogging”, that I didn’t blog like most people: I didn’t write the daily goings on, or daily thoughts of my life. However, I still loved blogging. I started this journey using this writing as a vehicle for me to finally get my “stories” written down. You know, for posterity, and all of that. HAHA.

Point of Departure...

However, today marks a very important day to me. And, perhaps if I use a rather public forum to “announce” it, to talk about it, I will find success in my new venture.

I have struggled with my weight for 26 years now. No, that really isn’t true. It’s been a lifelong dilemma, just at different levels. I was “chubby” as a kid. Never ever fat, just more than I needed. I had a “normal” weight from about 12 to 17 years old. I gained a little extra weight in a fun summer in California before my Senior year. I got the extra pounds off very quickly and kept it off until my second baby. By then, I was 28 years old and it is not chubby anymore – but fat!!

I have added and subtracted, then added again, and find myself now at 54 years old fatter that I ever ever dreamed was possible. I have never had any health problems associated with the weight, until now. For all of my life, I have had low blood pressure. Too low sometimes, especially when I was having migraines. But, the opposite is oh-so-true these last couple of months. My blood pressure has been stroke level, and difficult to control.

I could elaborate here talking of other health issues, but there’s no need. Let it suffice to say there are some.

Oh, diets. I have tried them all. As a family, we try to eat very healthfully, I just like lots of healthy food. HAHA! I know it is almost past time to get serious.

Let me begin by saying my Dr is a very good friend. I like her a great deal, and trust her opinion. She feels that I am a prime candidate for lap-band surgery. She has already talked to my insurance and certified that the procedure in medically necessary, and therefore my insurance will pay for it.

I am not really sure this is what I want to do. So I have read everything I can find about the surgery, talked with several people that have had it done, talked with a surgeon yesterday.

Still, I am not sure. So, I decided that I would try to just “eat” the way one must eat after the procedure and see where that will get me. Think about it: you only get to eat 6-8 oz of food 6 times a day, with 64 oz of water “sipped” during the day. The first couple of weeks, perhaps even month, is limited to liquids and soft foods, protein drinks being a chief source of nutrition.

Come on now!!! If any “fatty” only drinks 48 ozs of “food” for about 6 weeks, one should definitely expect some changes. Right!?! So, I am going to try this first.

Oh yeah, I joined Curves today for 30 days.

So, on July 5th, my 30 days will be up with Curves and I will have completed 30 days of the Kathleen’s not-lap-band-non-surgery diet. It can’t help but be different.

Later…

12 comments:

Yvette said...

Hello Sis Newton!!! I absolutely LOVE all of your stories!!! Your a fabulous writer! :) I'm guilty of visiting your site OFTEN looking for more!!!

You will do great with Curves!!! I believe in you!!! You have the power it takes to succeed at anything you put your mind to! Just look at what a wonderful mother and wife you are! :)

You ALSO post encouraging comments on others blogs! You've definately encouraged me!!! Thank you!!

Love you bunches,
Yvette

KAN said...

OMG!!! What wonderful things you've said to me!!! What encouragement!!! And from a source so unexpected.

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again. You will never know what these mere words have done to my spirit today.

I just "refound" your blog, wrote something to you, and then found you had written to me. Coincidence? Never! Yeah, God is so GOOD

Yvette said...

HE is mind blowing isn't HE???

I responded to your above comment on my page.... Don't ask me why :/ ..... been a goofy type of day!!!

Hope your weekend is FANTASTIC!!! :)

Tracie Smith said...

You can do it!!!! You spoke of being vulnerable to post about your new venture. I see it in a different dimension. Anything we post on the web exposes who we are. This will add to your accountability. I believe you can find success with your new venture. A lesson I enjoy sharing with youth is it is easy to establish a goal however achieving it becomes the challenge. Achieving goals is easier when we employ those around us. I'm sure your family and friends will help you reach this goal in your life. Keep us all posted of your SUCCESS!

Anonymous said...

KAN -
The next 30 days are going to be wonderful! Stressful? maybe; Strained? maybe that too; but ultimately they will be wonderful.

Just think of your initials...KAN - can. You KAN do it!

Amanda

Vicki said...

ok, so you totally inspired me! I have also gained WAY more weight than my 5'3" small boned body can handle. I started my new journey today. We can do this for our health, and because I deserve to be what I know I can be!

KAN said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Amanda, for your absolutely encouraging words! I know that we can "change figures, now" cus we are going to stick to the "change stations, now" routine.

Oh, Sis S - I feel I've long since inspired anyone. Thank you too for the kind words.

I wanted to go to a scrapbook seminar this June, but because it was about $400-$500 in cost, and I would have had to miss 3 days of work, and the woman I work for wanted to go too, therefore, both of us being gone was "not going to happen". Russ, the owner of the store, said if we two ladies could lose at least 50 lbs by next June he'd close the shop for those 3 days and we could both go and he'd help with the funding!

Now that's incentive. HAHAHA

Vicki said...

oh that would SO inspire me lose weight. I LOVE, LOVE those things. HA! The past 2 yrs in the States I flew to Atlanta every July and went to an expo with my friend. 3 days of just plain fun! This year my friend is in the middle of moving back to Houston but is going to one there - maybe the same one?

Deadra's Dialogue said...

You can do it. I believe in you. Love you!

Erin said...

:) You've got a lot of love going on here!
I'm in a similar boat... and know that I have to do something about it too. I'll be praying for you as I work out what to do myself.

Curious Servant said...

Wow. Sounds like big changes.

This past year (I'm a teacher) we had a "Biggest Losers" contest.

I never watched the show, but what we did was each chipped in $20.

We each weighed in once a week, and did the fat % thing.


Whoever lost the least (or gained) two weeks in a row had to chip in another $5.

My friend in the class next door lost 24#, I lost 22.

Glad I did it.

Now I feel I have something I can work on for the summer.

Curious Servant said...

Thank you for dropping by and saying such nice things in the comments.

I see you have a link to biscotti_brain.

Been reading her stuff for quite a while (and she kindly visits my place as well).

Glad you enjoyed the post.