Thursday, June 19, 2008

It really did happen...

What can I say that hasn’t already been said!?!?

Let me repeat myself by admitting I am a very spoiled mama. And, I love it!

Thanks to my father-in-law, Andy Newton, for instilling in his oldest son a respect bordering on reverence for women in general, and wives and mothers in particular. By all accounts, it appears Andy was taught / demonstrated this quality by his dad.

Thanks to that oldest son, my wonderful husband, Paul, for loving me and continuing to exhibit this love and honor for wives and mamas to his sons for yet another generation to learn.

I know many mothers. All different kinds, from all different walks of life with different families, and with all different kinds of children. Few of them have the adult children that are as good to their moms as mine still seem to be to me. Again, I know I am “spoiled” .

This past Wednesday night, June 18th, Paul, Stephen, and I had a late dinner with Andrew and then just watched idly by as he walked away from us, through motel doors into the lobby and into a new phase of his life. Anchors Aweigh just doesn’t even begin to encompass the myriad of emotions that I am experiencing.

Everyone thinks that I am “worried” about Andrew’s choice of careers: the US Navy. No. Pure and Simple – No! I am so excited about this new venture. I know he is truly in the will of God, and He is in control. Andrew is going to have a blast. I just know it. Worry has never been a factor. That is not my problem.



I AM GOING TO MISS HIM!

There is no other way to say it. Few people know that he has always come by to see me once or twice a week. Ever since he graduated from high school back in 2000, he has managed to “swing by” and see me at work. Additionally, he, like Matt and Stephen, call me on a daily basis just to “check in” – see if I need anything, what I’m doing, etc. Andrew, like his daddy, tries his best to take care of the mama!!! Yes, I’m gonna miss him.

BUT, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT IS GOING TO MISS HIM!


He’s a great man. He is incredibly active in our church – besides playing an awesome bass guitar, he does many things “behind the scenes” that no one really knows about. He goes by a couple of times a week to “check on things” – make sure the sound is okay, make sure the microphones and the cords are still straightened (he’s very OCD about these things). He is there. He’s dependable, consistent, and trustworthy – to say the least.

He’s an AWESOME cook. He can turn a simple piece of chicken into a meal fit for the King. He doesn’t do meals very simply either – they are generally masterpieces of culinary delight. He makes the best cheesy-chicken fondue / dip. His hot sauce is renowned. No one can make an alfredo sauce quite like he can, either. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, the boy can cook! My family is going to have to settle for Mama’s plainer-style of cooking again.

He’s a fabulous friend. You can tell him anything, and he will never repeat it. He will stand by you when no one else will. He has been known on many occasions to put his plans aside to be a friend to another. He will go to all kinds of extremes to help someone out – even put himself into fairly prickly places. We kid him that he’s a KISA – Knight In Shining Armor. There have been many girl “friends” that have needed help, needed a shoulder, needed a male with no pressures, and Andrew has been that male. Much to the consternation of many, though. Talk about some “prickly places”. Girls might say they just want a friend, but they lie. Girls might say no strings attached, but they lie. But Andrew still will help anyone who needs him.

He’s an incredible worker. All of his life he has been the “physical” child. He loves doing things – loves being busy. He can figure out “how-to” do just about anything, too. He has never been afraid to work, has an incredible work ethic. There are many people all over Montgomery County that when they need something done, they call Andrew.

I guess I need to shut up. I do not want to sound boastful or prideful, but I am one proud Mama. I really am.

Yes, I am going to miss James Andrew Newton. But, I AM proud of the man my son has become. Truth be known, I am PROUD of the men all of my sons have become. And, while Andrew has made his parents proud, and his friends and family also, I now know that he has the chance to do something bigger.

He can make his country proud.
Anchors Aweigh.
I love you, son.

7 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

I miss Andrew! Last night as we locked up the church, checked to see if the a/c was off, lights out, and etc I missed Andrew. This wasn't a job assigned to Andrew but something he wanted to do for his Pastor. I will miss him when I get caught in the ofc helping someone with a need after service having him bring my belongings to the ofc before turning out lights and etc. Sis. Newton, I KNOW you will miss him greatly. You have been in my prayers the last few weeks. More importantly since Wednesday I have earnstly thought about you and prayed for you. I KNOW how much you depended on Andrew. He has been more than a son to you but has helped you in so many ways. I know God will help you. Please know you are not alone in your thoughts and prayers. I love you...

Curious Servant said...

That was a warm assessment, a kind tribute, a sweet goodbye. (Did you know that "good bye" is a contraction of the old phrase "God be with ye"?)

May God always be near to him.


I stopped by to say thank you for the kind words you left on my public blog.

I'm glad you enjoyed writing.

Since you mentioned being an English teacher and how it affects your reading, I thought I'd comment a little about my writing style.

1. I like it tight. I go over and over my posts, usually eliminating words and phrases. Make each word, each word be the right word. My biggest error in writing is words that would make the sentence stronger by their absence.

2. I like circular writing. I think that is how life is. We move along and event happen, and we don't see any connection, and then something special comes along and we find ourselves back were we started, and found the journey changed us. I like to have my posts shift their focus, slide from place to place, and then pull it all together, expressing what I learned in the very different thoughts and events, how they worked together after all.

3. Finally, I like to write about my faith. Faith isn't a thing of theory. It is a test of character, a pounding of the smith's hammer, and I want to help in whatever He is making of me.

Well... this all sounds pompous. It's just that folks don't often comment on style,and I appreciate that you noticed.

Thanks again for the sweet comment.

God bless.

God bless you,. and God bless Andrew.

God be with ye.

Anonymous said...

OMG Im gonna miss him soo much. We haven't really been friends too long but he was a great guy. Always made me laugh! I have to say He is my fav son of ur *shhh dont tell*
I almost cried when Stephen text me and said he was gone..
I really hate it, it's not gonna be the same without him.
I think he is the one guy Randy will listen to so for that reason im really really gonna miss him!
Cant wait till he comes home

KAN said...

Hey everyone - thanks for your words. I know that I'm "not the Lone Ranger" with my emotions. Sis Smith - what an encourager you've been to me. From my heart - thank you.
Curious Servant - while we don't know each other "in person", after reading your blogs, I feel I understand your words here, too. And it is faith that I have knowing God's Hand is on my son.
and BRANDIE - what a wonderful surprise to hear from you. Yes, Andrew loves Randy like another brother. Loves him enough to really talk to him, too. The friendship between the Gilchriests and the Newtons was forged long ago. It will remain. Love ya, doll. Thanks for the kind words!!!

KAN said...

my friend, Amanda, sent this email to me, and while it warmed this mother's heart, and wet her eyes, I knew I still wanted to share it:

Andrew



Amiable

Noble

Determined

Resourceful

Energetic

Well-loved



Just a few words to describe a remarkable young man! What a joy it must be to have a son that demonstrates his love for his mother – like Andrew does toward you, Kathleen!



You are right, many of us have loving children, but not many of us have children like Andrew. I have witnessed his care of you. I have been there when he has just ‘stopped by’ and when he’s ‘called to check in’. I have heard him ask if he could cook dinner or if you needed anything at the store. I’ve seen him lean into you and cry – ‘cuz he knew he could rely on you to pray. Awesome!



Yep, you are going to miss him. We all are in our own way. My heart is bursting with pride for you in that young man.



What a boy. What a son. What a young man!

Amanda said...

Awe - thanks for posting that KAN! I love you and each of the members of your family.

Love you, know that we are holding you up in pray as we all adjust to the GIANT leap into the huge world of adulthood that Andrew just took.

Amanda

Curious Servant said...

Kan...

I am so warmed to hear the Metaphor post meant something to you.

That was such a kind thing to write.

I'm glad we "met"!