Friday, June 13, 2008

6 down... God only knows how many more to go...

Let’s see. I really am enjoying this week. Oh, don’t be fooled. The trick to the lap-band surgery is that your stomach is cinched to about the size of a lemon instead of about the size of a football (the size of most “fatties” stomachs). With the surgery, you are “full” after drinking your 6-8 oz of protein drink, or eating your 6-8 oz of jello. Well, let me share with you that I have definitely, absolutely, positively - whatever is the buzz word that I am saying too much at the time - been HUNGRY!!! My arm looks good about 3 in the afternoon, or especially 11 at night.

BUT I HAVE MADE IT through week #1. Only going by the Curves scales – not my own or the ones at work – I have officially lost 6 ½ lbs. I worked out Mon – Fri (even went to a workout before Wednesday nite service. Just told people not to sit too closely!!! Hahaha!!!)

I HAVE MADE IT.

You have to understand. I hate, hate, HATE to sweat. Let me say that again. I HATE to sweat. I have NEVER liked to exercise. It was not even remotely close to anything I would want to do. Even in school, PE was my LEAST favorite subject. Oh, I did everything, and I could perform all of the activities well, always made great grades, it just wasn’t fun.

Now DANCING was another thing. I loved, loved, LOVED to dance. I started taking ballet when I was 5 years old and took either ballet, tap or jazz or a combination every year until my jr year in high school. I even took dance classes for all of my PE classes in college. And, of course, I danced my life away during my college years, too. In my quest to lose weight, since then, I’ve tried the “sweating to the oldies”, or the like type of exercise, but never very successfully.

I obviously needed to try something else…so…

Thankfully, this is different. Of course, I will admit, I have a different mindset than ever before. That is the primary difference. You know: the old battlefield of the mind problem. It takes waking up one morning and saying this is it!! But, the ladies at Curves have been great. They are encouraging, without being pushy, helpful without being showy. Moreover, there are other women there with great success stories to let you know “you can do it, too”. They play great “get up and go” music: some oldies, but mostly Christian music set to an up beat. I have to admit “Holy, Holy, Holy” or “Great is Thy Faithfulness” or “Amazing Grace” performed to “moving music” is a little much, even for me. Oh well, whatever works.

Now on to week #2.

9 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Congratulations!!!! You can make it. One more week and you'll feel much better...

Carrie Blair said...

Awesome Sis. Newt!!!! I am proud of you! You are going to be successful! I believe in you!

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Great job. Keep it up, you can do it.

Yvette said...

Yeah!!!! I'm sooo excited for you!!! I KNEW you could do it! Bet you feel great!!!

The first two weeks may be the hardest, but it will become easier and easier and easier the more you do it. Then seeing the results of your hard work will make you push even the more!

I'm so happy for you Sis Newton!

Love you!

Vicki said...

I was away from home and kept thinking - I have got to see how Sis. N. is doing. I have not been as faithful as you. So, tomorrow is the day for me. I kept thinking, the 18th would be the day so that is tomorrow. Send happy/skinny thoughts my way ok?

Girl friend when you are all curvy you will be the one telling the rest of that we can do it! Congratulations on a great week!

Curious Servant said...

Congtsts!

Hang in there Sis!

Amanda said...

I thought I checked your blog since the 13th...guess I 'membered wrong.

Week one is down and now week 2 is almost over. You are my inspiration! I think next week I'll go a little later so we can work out together...I had more fun the first week when we were 'twisting' to the music together.

'Manda

Anonymous said...

awww way to go ...

Anonymous said...

OMG I just read the part about sweatin to the oldies!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that workout!
I used to do it soo much that the vhs player ate my tape I guess it got sick of Richard Simmons!!
haha but i gotta get it again!