Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Happy 31st Anniversary - 5/28/2007



31 years!
Who can believe it!

Thirty-one years ago today, Paul and I were married. It was a sweet, simple, yet beautiful ceremony. We had planned and planned wanting everything to be “Just Perfect”, but we didn’t want to spend lots of unnecessary money. The day finally arrived. If you know me very well, for me to tell you the wedding started almost one hour late, you’re not surprised! But it really did start late…The florist was lost, and then didn’t bring the correct flowers. It was ridiculous! My poor mama was frantic, but I wasn’t too worried. I was so in love and so ready to get married to Paul, I didn’t care what happened.

I have so much to be thankful for that day. Paul is a God-given gift to me. God sent Paul into my life when I was definitely at the nadir of my existence. There were family troubles, failed relationships, worthless friendships, and life going haywire. However, when I reached that bottom, I remembered all of that Sunday School training and did the only thing I knew to do – PRAY. And honestly, while I was praying, telling God that I was ready to turn my life around, the phone rang, and it was Paul. I had met him about 7 weeks before, but had not heard from him at all. I was fairly taken with him the one time I met him, (in fact, I even called my mama the night I met Paul and told her I had met her future son-in-law! She told me to go to sleep and call her in the morning...) but wasn’t sure how he felt about me until he called. 17 months later we were married…

I have had a wonderful life being Paul’s wife. He has been so good to me, spoiled me mercilessly. He’s a fabulous husband, a wonderful daddy, a good provider in all ways, not just monetarily. Oh, he is not perfect. He’s anal, a major procrastinator, a “believer in compromise – as long as you do it his way” type of guy. He treats me like I’m 10 years old, and I hate it, but then if I wouldn’t act like I was 10, things would be different. HAHAHA.

Basically, our lives have been very equitably meshed together. I am the one who likes to be the center of attention; he doesn’t like attention. I like to be up front “being the star of the show”; he is definitely the behind the scenes worker. I like the whole cart and pony show; Paul is cleaning up after the pony. But it has worked so well for us. He has been my biggest fan, the “push” in my life. I don’t always have the best of self-confidence, possess limited self-esteem, but Paul has always believed in me. He helped me all of the way getting my Master’s degree, overcoming obstacles, and some serious collegiate departmental politics.

When we decided that I should be a “stay-at-home” Mama, he was there for me against the odds of most of our friends and family. He learned to love beans and rice so we could afford for me to stay home. He was my rock steady against ill winds when we chose a brand of parenting that was foreign to most people. He learned to love snuggling with his wife and his babies in a family bed. I could go on and on with examples of Paul’s love and support of me and our kids, but the greatest instance of this love was demonstrated from 1990 until 2007. Paul was my greatest support for my participation in the Christian education of our children. What a gift to me, what a gift to our children, and to others. What a wonderful man, what a magnanimous contribution he was willing to make.

It is simple: He had my back.

Last year, as we celebrated our 30th anniversary, we went out for desserts with our sons and their “others.” We had a wonderful time and we have the greatest pictures of the night to prove it! One of my favorite pictures is right here. I just thought it was “so cute.” However, as I truly looked over these pics with a more discerning eye, I noticed something else.

Yes, while I have basked in the knowledge of my wonderful husband always standing not only with me, standing not only for me, but my support system standing behind me, I now know how he’s survived.

He has made faces behind my back all of these years.

Who would believe this!!!

HAHAHA – I love it, and I love him!
(and he says he "hates" this picture - too bad!)


Happy Anniversary, Paul!!!

14 comments:

APN said...

I love you both so VERY much. Thanks for being such wonderful, beautiful, and shining examples of what marriage and parenting should and can look like, through the highs and lows, the thick and the thin.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Erin said...

What a beautiful post. It's rare to find this kind of eyes-wide-open love and appreciation. Kudos to you both for investing so much in each other :)

Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

Tracie Smith said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! I love each of you and celebrate today in such an incredible milestone. In a world that fights against marriage what a wonderful legacy for your boys. I love the pic, too! :)

APN said...

As lovely as my mother looks in her wedding picture, I tend to prefer the one of her and Dad from WAAAAAAAY back in the day. It's the clothes & the hair. Who knew they once had lots of brown hair on their heads? Are you telling me that it hasn't always been gray? Hehehe....

KAN said...

Oh, my dear son, you just wait. You just wait. You WILL get what is coming to you for that "sweet" comment.

Grandma and PawPaw grayed very early in their lives (of course, Grandma "colored" her hair forever), but as you should well remember, Grandpa Andy had less gray when he died then your dad has now.

However, chances are you'll start graying fairly soon, too. Gotta love those Adams genes. Of course, with no sons in your life at present, the stress factor might not be as high. HAHA!!! Of course, with no wife in your life at present, there's no one to keep you calm and sweet like I do your daddy. Again, HAHA!!!

KAN said...

Oh, and a PS, here: I made my dress and the shirt that your daddy has on, too. We were stylin', too. Mama

KAN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deadra's Dialogue said...

Happy Anniversary to the both of you.

Carrie Blair said...

Happy Anniversary!

I decided Adam and Paul look very much alike...Colby says that Matthew wears the same clothes today that Paul did then....lol

Love ya'll!

Vicki said...

aww, I missed your day. Happy Anniversary - I also LOVE the picture!

Belinda said...

OH I just love this blog!!!!!! It gives everyone a since of "We Can Make It!" I just love it when you talk to people and they say we have been crazy in love for 30, 40, 50 years. It is AWESOME! I am just so happy for ya'll. Love ya bunches Sis A

KAN said...

As I have always said, if we can "make it", anyone can. We all know that yes, it takes Lots and Lots of LOVE, but it took a couple that made a COMMITMENT years ago that NOTHING would come between them, nor anything between them and God!

And yes, Paul is told all of the time that he has a "straight shot to Heaven" for putting up with me all of these years. What people don't know... hahaha