Monday, June 30, 2008

29 and Holding...

This past weekend, Paul, Stephen, and I took our summer pilgrimage to El Rancho Cima to spend time with Adam and Matthew. They had just finished week #3 of summer camp, and by all appearances, are having a very successful experience.

Last Wednesday, June 25th, was Adam’s 29th birthday – the main reason for the mom and pop trip to camp. I was having MAJOR trouble believing I was actually old enough to have a kid that was 29 years old, if you know what I mean. Really. It seems like I was just a kid yesterday.

I remember calling my mama on Adam’s 5th birthday, upset that my “baby” was already FIVE YEARS OLD. She laughed her gentle laugh, and then told me it was no big deal, since her baby – me – was 30!!!

Adam was one loved little boy. Besides having a mama and daddy that were so excited about being parents, the GRANDparent element was beyond thrilled!!! My daddy was 44 when I was born, and 79 when Adam was born. His first grandchild at 79! You would have thought that there was not another child ever born. The ICING on the cake was the fact that Adam was a red head. Whoa! My dad was especially partial to redheads! Then we named this cute little redhead “Adam”. My dad was overboard in love with this kid for sure!!

Rogers Adams was something else. I could write for DAYS about him – The Reverend R. Angel Adams, as he was affectionately known. To quickly sum up my daddy, I feel it is safe to say he was a lousy husband, not particularly a good dad, but a FABULOUS Paw-Paw. He loved those boys of mine. He never tired to them at his house, loved to tease with them, watch TV with them, even play “Nuh Nin Toe” (his very weird way to say Nintendo – just to poke at the boys) with them. And while he was sick for the last 7 years of his life, from 1985 on, he wanted to be as involved in their growing up as he could.

Adam Paul Newton was born at 11:11 am. I promise you, and I am not at all kidding, nor even exaggerating, that every day from then on, when the digital clock on the TV read 11:11, my Daddy would say OUT LOUD, “Well, it’s 11:11.” Like it was some mystical time. It was a time that was as important as Dec 7, 1941, or his birthday, or something. What a difference one little boy made.

Paw-Paw never missed a birthday, either. Whether it was at the house or at Putt-Putt or Show Biz Pizza, he was there and right in the middle of things, too. Hey, are there any Putt-Putt golf places anymore? My boys had a blast playing, and they had good parties, too.

Hey, son, let me say that time surely has gone by very quickly. Scary sometimes, I might add. But let me take this time to say, 6 days late, but you know me…

Happy Birthday, to you!!!




Love you more than you'll ever know.

7 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Happy belated, Adam!!! I love you and wish you a great year. We certainly do miss you at church, too!!!!

Yvette said...

Happy Birthday Adam!!! :D

Carrie Blair said...

Happy Happy birthday Adam!!!

Anonymous said...

**Bows graciously**

Rogers Adams was an AMAZING Grandfather and remains to this day one of the biggest influences in my life (though he passed when I was barely 13 years old). I still speak fondly of him and the many lessons he taught me.

Thank you all for your wonderful birthday wishes.

Peace/

Curious Servant said...

I know what you mean about time sneaking up on you.

I'm 52.

I look around, and wonder, "How did I get here so fast?!!"


I can't possibly be that old.

When I was turning 35 I overheard some recent high school grads in a hallway at college talking about how old a classmate of theirs was... how he listened to different music, talked politics, all sort of stuff she couldn't relate to.

"Oh, I know!" exclaimed the other. "I asked him how old he was and he said 'TWENTY-FIVE!!!'"

Sheesh.

Now I'm older than my grandparents were when I was in grade school!

I dropped by to say I left a brief explanation about
the background on my kids, and links to posts that chronicle the immigration stuff.

What a mess.
Thanks for your visits and kind words!

--Will

Curious Servant said...

Kathleen...

I'm happy to get to know you better.

Things have been challenging, but life is good. The world is beautiful.

The situation with my kids is strange, and a challenge. But it doesn't matter. I love them and I'm fortunate to have them in my life.

I see you have a link to Erin's. She is a sweet heart.

She has been following along on my weird little journey for quite a while.

I have another blog which is a little more private. I started it almost a year ago and it shares things I wouldn't want revealed close to home.

The wilsonian visits.

When I post light, I put the post on both blogs. When a little more revealing, on the other one only.

What I'm getting at is that if you are interested, I'll give you the other address. If not, that's fine too.

My email is:

greenleaf.will@gmail.com

Well... I'm off to run a few errands.

Take care.

Vicki said...

Well, you know, you give your boys and hubby LOTS of credit and I am sure they deserve every bit of it but I think you are one great mamma! Your influence reaches way further than your even know.

Happy late b/day Adam!