Saturday, July 12, 2008

One Month Down...

I have really wanted to post an “update” on the old weight issue, but felt so incredibly vain or even silly doing so. First, it isn’t really anybody’s business / does anybody really want to know anyway. Second, I feel those people who read my blog are in “my sphere” and will say encouraging words whether they mean it or not, and lastly, I feel people will be cheering me on / fussing at me for my real thoughts in the matter.

After my first month at Curves, on the Kathleen’s Instead-of-Lapband-Procedure New Eating Agenda, I lost a grand total of 11 lbs and 6.5 inches.



Now, I know that is great, I know that “losing is better than gaining”, I know that “you have to start somewhere”, I know that “you didn’t put the weight on over night and you can’t take it off over night either”, I know that “to lose weight too fast means you’ll just gain it all right back”, etc etc etc. I know all of the platitudes. I’ve said them myself, or have already heard them.

But, the fact of the matter is, I have been very, very good, and I honestly was hoping for more drastic results. There, I’ve admitted my human-ness. In the entire month, I only “cheated” twice. Once at Andrew’s going-away party where I ate fried food, though I still measured them out. Second was another weekend when we went to San Marcos to see Matt and Adam. I ate “real” food all day instead of the protein drinks for two meals, however, I still ate only what I am supposed to eat, like salad and fruit and protein, AND I only ate the correct amounts. Another reason I felt I should have “lost big”, was I was really sick for about 3 ½ days with a bad stomach virus, and didn’t eat much at all.


Another issue with my “diet” is that I truly only lasted with liquid only for about 10 days. It was the pits, and if truth be known, after the initial big weight loss the first week, I started gaining, because except for the protein drinks, the broths, soups, and Gatorade-type drinks are loaded with sodium – I mean really loaded. For example, one day, I had two “Soup on the Go”, the non-lower sodium version, and those two little 11-oz containers had more sodium than I needed for the entire day. Back to plan B, C, or D.

I have modified my regimen to drink two protein meal-replacement kind of drinks for breakfast and lunch. For my other 2 snack times, I have fruit or raw veggies or I still have a soup or something, but the reduced sodium kind. I know that I need to keep my protein level up to maintain losing weight, too.

I LOVE Curves.
It is fun, I’ve made “friends”, and it makes me feel like I’m in control or something. (we all know I’ve never been really in control of anything, but FEELING like you are is good). I have set some short-term and long-term goals – nothing too outrageous – and am working towards them.

Like most other “issues” in life, the Battlefield of the Mind is the greatest obstacle. I have my mind made up, and I know THAT is way more than half of the battle.

One month down…


11 lbs down...


It’s a long and arduous journey, but...


“it’s gonna be worth it all !!”

11 comments:

Carrie Blair said...

Congratulations,and I mean it! Also, love the pink toe nail polish!!! ha ha ha ha ha couldn't resist.

It is gonna be worth it all! I know you are going to accomplish your goal. I believe in you.

Love you.

KAN said...

If those were MY toes, EVERYONE knows the polish would surely be RED!!!

Pretty awful-looking feet, too. When I saw the pix, I knew that was just how my scale must feel some days. HAHAHA

Erin said...

I love that shot of the scales too! lol...
You're doing great, K! I can totally empathize of the disappointment you feel, but trust your body here.

Have an awesome week...
Peace

Yvette said...

Wow!!! I KNEW you could do it!!!

What rewarding results from your efforts!!! And that was just the first month! :)

Love you!!!

Amanda said...

KAN - when you get discouraged just think of my results. Now granted I hadn't started the diet part when we weighed in but still...1pound up and I did shift a few inches but ... I don't think I lost any.

BUT for sure it is fun fun and fun. Curves has been a great blessing in the 'keep up the exercise' area of this "journey".

Love ya bunches, you keep at it and now that I've started the diet thing...we'll see.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

awww im very proud of you... Me and my mom have just re-started our diet and I know it's the pits.. we are doing weight watchers and fixing to join Ladies of America... Gahhhh gotta get in shape for wedding (noo not mine *sigh*)
Well also...
next time we come over while the boys are next door doing their *thing* I will come over n we shall see what we can do about your page.. OK!!
Luv ya

Curious Servant said...

Hang in there Sis.

Thanks for the visit and kind comments!

Curious Servant said...

I just had to drop by again... I reread what you wrote in the comments section of my blog. Thank you for sharing.

Why is it adults are so quick to dismiss the spirituality of children?

I guess it is pride. The sense that we know more, that we deserve the real experiences of faith more than a child because we have lived longer.

At any rate, thank you again.

Curious Servant said...

Thank you so much... I can hardly believe it.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Vicki said...

woo hooo!!!!!!!!!! I'm stuck at 15 lbs down (in 3 months ugh!)

Plan on upping the exercise.

Anonymous said...

Hi there sis!

I just read your sweet comment that you left on my vegetarian cooking site and I wanted to encourage you on your journey to health! Please feel free to try any of my recipes, you can adapt them to use soy cheese or low fat cheese, etc.. If you have any questions on how to "go veg" a couple of nights a week, let me know and I will be glad to help!

God Bless!

Sis Sunshine