Saturday, July 26, 2008

Change – the news, magazines, e-zines etc are totally focused on the word. Everyone seems to believe that things are so bad that we must change. While I DO NOT buy into that notion, I do think that change can be a good thing. Some are very resistant to the very idea, yet I know some people that relish change to the point they rearrange the furniture in their homes ALL of the time just for change sake. (Hello Sis A…)

But, I experienced an example of real LIFE change right here in my own home Friday night. Paul and I hosted a party / get-together for the Connect life group from church. Why are called “Connect”? It is a subject to talk about. Now just what we’re really supposed to stay “connected with” is of some concern, even debate. You see, Connect is the over-50 yrs old group. Are we supposed to be the connection between the younger kids and the older church of yesterday – you know, the “Amazing Grace” sung from the hymnal generation? Or, are we needing to stay connected to each other in this rapidly changing world where so many values we hold dear, as “tried and true”, are replaced by “brash and bold”? Or, are we just needing to stay connected to our brains in a time where some of us don’t remember what day it is, much less other things…

I really believe that everyone had a very good time. After speaking with Sis Patrick and others, I asked to change the focus of the party. The last several get-togethers we have had have been “eatin-meetins”. We have some good cooks among us, so we all bring the proverbial “pot luck” and eat and visit. While we have had wonderful times doing this, I wanted to play some games, like we did at some of the first meetings. While some of the joiners said it was kinda loud at these parties, it was still fun, and I wanted to play again.

So, in planning the party, we just asked for finger foods, snacky-type items. That way, we would eat, even munch while playing games. Keep the night “lite”.

I made “Centers” around my great room. I had a “Domino Center” at the dining table, a “Card Center” at one card table, and a “Game Center” at another card table. The “Food Center” was set on the island and around the counter tops in the kitchen. We were set to “party”. (Even though Chris and Misty Ferguson said I had finally arrived at my dream job of Activity Director at a Nursing home, I turned a deaf ear to them and still had my centers, and I acted like I wasn’t offended at their inference. You’ll be old some day, you two. ***smile***)

We had a great turn out. Most of the “senior set” came. (In fact, the youngest people here were Pastor and Sis Smith who “crashed” the party, being they are still in the middle 40’s!!!) While some simply sat around and visited, relaxing after a long week, the rest were in the middle of playing games, laughing, and having fun. I learned who NOT to play cards with, because age DOES NOT always temper everyone. One of our group, a relatively newcomer to our church, was the oldest at our card table and really played cut-throat Skipbo. (I can hear ALL of you reading this say, “You have got to be kidding? Cut-throat Skipbo? You’re losing it, Kathleen.” Let me just say nyah-na, nyah-na boo boo to you!!!) Some had to leave early, while other closed the place down about 11:30.

11:30. Is that what I really said? Yes, 11:30. The party was over at 11:30.

Change. Who would have thought there would come a day when 11:30 was LATE and the party was over because we were tired? (I know there were at least a couple of us at this party that closed many a bars / dance halls singing “Happy Trails to You” at 2:00 am).

Oh, there were definitely the days then I would have laughed my head off, maybe even gotten a little riled, if ANY ONE would have even SUGGESTED that I would be playing Skipbo with a bunch of old Pentecostals. Deliver Me! You have got to be joking!

Change. Who’d a thought! Playing dominoes and Skipbo. Playing “Apples to Apples”. A bunch of adults sitting around a table playing “UNO”. AND HAVING FUN DOING THIS!!! Who would have thought it. Not me. I never thought I’d arrive at this point.

But, I have. We have. We’re here. We’re there. We have arrived. We’re arrived at the Real Senior Moment. What a change.

And, I think it is really a GOOD THING…

Now, I hate to be too corny, but here I go…

Change. I really am blessed with the wonderful life I have. What a change from where Paul and I were 31 years ago. While WE'VE have really changed, I would NOT change anything for the life we share today. We are a blessed couple and truly blessed parents!

I also am blessed with the relationship I have with God. I am so glad I met Him at an old-fashioned Pentecostal altar this summer 26 years ago. He changed my life so completely. Talk about change…

Change. There was a time that “change” for this mama simply meant another diaper. Now it is life changes. And the types of diapers that I had to change can also be indicative of some of the life changes. There are some that are really foul and everybody knows about it. But, just like the diaper, you got to change or face further dire circumstances.

Think about it: The “diaper rash” of life is truly a pitiful place to be…

(And, while I am at it, let me clarify something, too. For those politically savvy friends of mine, I am NOT talking about the Obama-type of change. I know you all knew that, anyway, HAHAHA) SO...

Change. Yeah, it’s all good…

5 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Good post! We had a blast @ Connect. We've just arrived home from Thrive and Element parties tonight. Honestly the Connect and Element parties have been the most enthusiastic this entire year. For some reason the middle age group seems to be a quiet group! It's really funny that Connect gets so rowdy! ha The food, the games, and the fellowship was great last evening. Thanks again to you and Bro. Paul for being such wonderful hosts. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I have a question. Did everyone bring their finger foods from Cracker Barrel?

KAN said...

Dear APN, my #1 son, my #2 most cynical son, my #1 encouraging son, and previously #4 Smart-A-EEEEE son, who with this quite tacky comment moved quickly up the ladder to #1 for the day.

The answer to your question of rather questionable motive is a resounding NO. (At least I didn't see any tell-tale brown and beige CB sacks) On a close inspection of the bags that came into the house, it appears that Kroger was the place to be on the way to the party of Friday night.

SO THERE!!!

Deadra's Dialogue said...

Glad to hear ya'll had a great time. Thanks for being such a great host.

Curious Servant said...

This post made me smile.

And so did your last comment on my blog. You got me to reply when I was just going to sit back and listen in on all the advice folks werre tossing my way.

But gardening... now that got me going.

Hmmmm... 11:30 is late... and I like to talk gardening...

OH MY GOSH!!! I'VE TURNED INTO AN OLD GEEZER!!!


Thanks for brightening things up for me. I needed it.