Monday, March 31, 2008

Anchors Aweigh for real!

I learned something the other day. After years of only singing a song, having never seen the words to said song written down, I learned that the Navy’s Service Anthem is “Anchors Aweigh,” not “Away”. Gee, you can learn something reading your son’s newest literature left lying around the house.

“Hm-m-m-m”, one might say at this juncture. What is Navy reading material doing at the Newton home? Well, I am the proud mother of a brand new Sailor. Sailor? Seaman? Recruit? I’m really not sure just what to call Andrew these days. But he DID just join the Navy. Am I shocked? Yes, as shocked as shocked can be? But I also know just how much this mama, plus his daddy and his brothers and family and friends, etc. have been praying for Andrew’s job situation and for direction and for his future these last 9 months.

And YES! I do believe this is the divine will of God for his life. God’s word admonishes us after we’ve done all we can to stand and see what God can do. Well, I am ready! I can barely wait to see what God has in store for Andrew. It’s gonna be GREAT!

When I realized I had always assumed the spelling as away, like the anchors were gone, or at least going, and it was the different spelling, I had to admit I really didn’t know what “aweigh” meant. So, like the good student / teacher that I am, I immediately went to the internet to look up the definition of the word “aweigh”. What I found was profound to me…

And (drum roll, please) “aweigh” means by the Navy’s definition that the “actions has been completed. The anchor is “aweigh” when it is pulled from the bottom and the event is noted”. Another definition is that “the anchor is clear of the sea bottom and that, therefore, the ship is officially underway.” Or better yet, Merriam-Webster dictionary succinctly defines aweigh as “raised just clear of the bottom, and ready to move on.”

Anyone who knows anything about what Andrew – all of us that love him, too – has gone through these last months will shake their heads with me in agreement – this is it. This truly is IT! This is PERFECT.

So, as of tonight, with our newly enlightened vocabulary, it isn’t simply “Anchors Aweigh” we’re shouting at the Newton house, it’ll be “ANDREW AWEIGH”.

They are simple words to a very old hymn, but they are truth.

"Have Thine own way, Lord
Have Thine own way.
Thou are the Potter,
I am the clay.
Mold me and make me,
After thy will.
While I am waiting --
Yeilded, and still."

He’s raised you from the bottom and you’re ready to move on – with Him.

Love you, son. You’re a worthy man. You’re gonna have a blast! And yes – I am one proud mama!


And YES – you will look good in a uniform. HAHAHA!!!

No comments: